On 5th May 2017, the Government announced the introduction of a new visa category; Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa for parents of Australians during 2017-18 Migration Programme year.
The new visa permits Australians to sponsor their parents to stay in Australia for up to 5 years at a time with following eligibility criteria.
- The child must be an Australian Student or an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
- The child has been residing in Australia for at least 2 years before the visa application is filed.
- Parent has a sponsor
- Parent meets the balance of Family Test criteria
- Parent satisfies both Health and character Requirements
Duration of a Parent’s Stay
A parent category visa allows the parent to:
- Live in Australia for up to 2 years as a Temporary resident
Live in Australia being an Australian Permanent Resident